Marmara Sea Management Plan is prepared in macro dimension with the current knowledge and is presented to the public opinion. Our biggest wish is to discuss this plan and then to implement it as soon as possible.
MARMARA SEA MANAGEMENT PLAN (MACRO DIMENSION)
1. First Step: Research and observation program in regular basis on the aspects of ecology (without ignoring the Black Sea and Aegean Sea)
A. Interpreting the current knowledge and synthesis them
B. Creating a data bank for the purpose
C. Managing all of the researches as well as creating funds from a single centre and civil organization
2. Second Step: New Conservation Developments
A. Urgent precautions
B. Medium and long term precautions and plans.
3. Third Step: Natural Resource Planning
A. Preventing the illegal fishing and overfishing. As well as respecting the fishing limits and size and species prohibitions.
B. Preventing the sand intake and coast destruction. Limiting the second house locations with Marmara coastline and implementing the coast code.
C. New implementation against patrol pollution
D. New implementation on waste and sewage problem
E. Waste control of, first of all, governmental firms, Gemlik Gulf can be a pilot region.
F. Reviewing the control studies of Haliç and other stream
4. Forth Step: Studies on Education and Public Sensitivity
A. Developing a public education and sensitivity program on Marmara Sea pollution, conservation and restoration with the correct knowledge (without rude politics and populist approaches
B. Reaching to the wide range of public for this sensitivity program
C. Organizing campaigns regarding to the kids who lives in Marmara Coastline
5. Fifth Step: Legal Regulations
A. Legal regulations on the single hand management of related foundations and organizations
B. Regulations on coordination
C. For this reason, determining the legal absences and developing them
D. Providing tools and funds for the controller organizations and strengthening them in regards to the qualified personnel.
6. Sixth Step: Regulations Related to Demographic Momentum (Population)
A. Precautions for slowing down the increase on human population
B. Precautions on preventing the migration to Marmara Region
C. Precautions related to the limitation of industrial facilities in Marmara Sea and around
D. Precautions on the conservation of farm sites, forests and river basins
1. Pollution in Marmara Sea takes its origin from domestic, industrial and ship facilities. Domestic pollution is the densest one within those. Unfortunately, Marmara almost became to an open sewage because purification system isn’t employed in this region. The reason behind the industrial pollution is mostly the governmental factories. Most of these factories should be closed down according to the environmental laws but they continue to work for the sake of populism.
During those pollutions, the strength of Marmara Sea comes from the more salty and oxygen rich water mass which originated from Mediterranean. Though, living organism in the first 50 meter (should be the most productive part) is limited. Moreover, Marmara Sea got polluted from Black Sea as well. Only the recent studies show that even though it is not much, Black Sea also got polluted from the deep water of Istanbul Strait.
2. In Marmara Sea, there is no extinct species but there are species whose populations are in decline. Their number is more than 50 such as monk seals, sturgeons, shrimps, crabs and ext.
3. Even though what we mean with pollution measures is not accurate, the turbidity which we use as a pollution parameter has been increased by %80 in the last 3 years. Moreover, plankton blooms are also increased. Especially during the summer period, due to the lack of oxygen, mass death is observed around the Prince Islands.
4. We are hoping that the new government will adapt this plan which is developed by TUDAV and implement the Marmara Action Plan. Plan is attached.
5. The origin of pollution in Aegean and Mediterranean is similar with the Marmara Sea.
It is prepared by TUDAV Marmara Group